Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Representin' by Kate

Good evening fellow and prospective students! I'm Kate Schiller, a new ambassador at Corning Community College. I will be stopping in occassionaly to share my experiences about working as a student ambassador at CCC.

Well,..... background information about myself seems to fit in right here. This is my last semester at CCC. I began my education as an Early Childhood Major. I have been involved with American Sign Language before I attended here so something that always appealed to me is the ASL courses offered at CCC.

As I continued with my basic studies, (Early Childhood courses and ASL courses) I figured out that I love ASL more than working in an educational environment. I have switched my major to General Studies, and plan to transfer out to a four year school to major in ASL Interpretting.

While I am sad this is my last semester here on campus, I am excited to become a student ambassador to further my work experience and be more involved on campus. This position, (as I explained in my interview process,) is something I've been doing before being hired. I am representing this school.

Think about it, as students we get asked all the time by friends, family and even aquiantances (who you'd rather not be telling your life goals to)  what has been going on with our education process. "Are you doing well with school?", "What classes are you taking this semester?", "What do you plan to do after graduating?"

Initially, we're all representing this school anytime we get asked these types of questions. To obtain this position has merely been an opportunity to better hone my communications skills and represent the school on a more professional level.

So far I have worked with the other Student Ambassadors in organizing stock rooms, making phone calls, inputting applications into the processing system, as well as shadowing on two tours. I hope to do more tours as well as phone calls. I'm more of a people person than a stock room or filing person!  From what I'm told, this semester is slower than the fall. I would anticipate it getting busier as the end of the semester gets closer. Highschool students should be getting ready to come in the fall. One can hope.

I've been able to participate in Student Leadership Seminar on Networking (Yum, free lunch!). This is where I met a lot of other student leaders on campus. It's amazing how you can spend two years on campus and never really get involved or realize how much is going on outside of your personal classes. I thought I knew what happened on campus. It was a  real eye-opener that I haven't even scratched the surface. I encourage you, GET INVOLVED!

Representing this school and working with this team has been the most fun job I have had so far, a lot better than my previous experiences of working in retail or fast food (no offense to all of you who are holding a position in those areas). I look forward to the rest of my last semester as a team member of CCC Student Ambassadors!

- Kate -

No comments:

Post a Comment