Wednesday, September 28, 2011

32-Day Commitment

I can do it. I’ll lose weight this semester. I won’t fall off the wagon again. I am strong willed. I can do this. I’m not really sure if this positive affirmation stuff is really doing any good, but it can’t hurt, right? I’m taking human biology this semester, and one of the projects we’re doing is a “32-day commitment”. For 32 days I have to change a bad habit of mine, or gain a new positive one. My first thought was to try, one more time, something that’s already failed once; “being vegetarian” for 3 days of the week has had a positive effect on me before, when I stick to it. Not only did I lose weight, but I also had elevated moods, more energy, less stomach pain, and an over-all healthier me. I feel like this is a good start, but as I’ve learned in Psychology class, activities that are intrinsically motivating are far more likely to be done. Lucky for me, there are going to be Zumba classes on campus this semester! If you don’t know what Zumba is, I highly recommend you look into it! It’s a Latin-inspired dance that also incorporates hip-hop, salsa, mambo, martial arts, and some belly dance moves. It’s going to be offered twice a week, in the bottom of the brand new fitness center, at 6:45 in the morning. Voila! My new positive habit! I will drag myself out of bed at five a.m. twice a week to come to campus and dance my butt off… literally! Wish me luck, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment