Thursday, March 11, 2010

π=3/15/10 by Ryan

In a feat of mathematical genius, I spent many long hours working out the math equation in the title of this post. Actually, that's a complete lie. The post title is referring to the campus annual Pi Day, which is this upcoming Monday. The Pi Day would usually be held on March 14 (3.14), but this year the 14th is on a Sunday. Therefore, the event is being held the following day on the 15th, which has been dubbed "pi + 0.01 day" (pi + 0.01 = 3.15).
What is Pi Day? Well to be honest, I wasn't 100% sure, so I spoke with the professor in charge to find out. This year is the first time I have ever heard of it, but I love the idea. I like math a lot, which is all my mom's fault. She majored in math in college and now teaches here at CCC. She gave me the love of math, so the idea behind celebrating pi for a day sounds awesome to me. The festivities will take place in the CCC Math Learning Centers in both Corning (S113) and Elmira (U111).

My math professor Jay Hurlburt is in charge of the day, and she has promised some fun stuff. The event starts at 1:59 p.m, which is a great idea (the first three digits of pi after 3.14 are 159). Food and drinks will be provided. Also, in MyCCC, students can find a link to a pi sudoku and a pi crossword that can be printed, filled out, and turned in for candy in the math learning center, where the event is taking place. I can't wait to try the pi sudoku, which is very unique: it's a 12x12 grid with oddly shaped sections. Each section must have the usual numbers 1-9, but must also have three pi symbols written in as well. I love sudoku and do one almost every day, so I'm really looking forward to the challenge and hope many others are as well.
The Pi Day is open to everyone, whether you are enrolled in a math class or not. Those who are enrolled in a math course, should check with their professors. Several are giving out extra credit for either attendance, or for submitting things such as the sudoku or the crossword. I'm really looking forward to this day. It should be a lot of fun for anyone who has an interest in math. I hope to see you there!

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment