Monday, March 29, 2010

Jackals vs. Dachshunds by Kate

The admissions office student workers took a field trip to Vincenzo’s Pizzeria and the Jackals’ Game last Friday night. The night was full of laughs and entertainment on all sorts of levels. The purpose was to bring together the admission’s student workers team for the first time this semester. I didn’t get to meet the whole team but I did get to meet some new faces.

The food was scrumptious; we managed to devour two large pizzas. If you’ve ever been to Vincenzo’s you’ve noticed it’s not necessarily a place to fit a party of 11 comfortably. It was interesting to watch people attempting to scoot by our table (which was located in the center of chaos). Some with a genuine, “Excuse me.” Others saying, “Excuse me,” but by their tone and facial expression really meaning, “Get out of my way!”
After food, we walked over to the First Arena, got to our seats and the game began! I’m not a sports fanatic. I rarely watch anything having to do with sports. I do enjoy going to a random game every now and then for the social experience and the fact I can yell as loud as I want without becoming a deviant.
The music was enjoyable to sing to, but they managed to cut off from songs right when you’re about to get into them. I think they do that because they can tell the crowd is getting into it and would prefer not to turn it into a karaoke arena. Let’s focus on the game, people!
The highlight of my night, aside from the singing, the ONE fight in the game and goofing around with my fellow ambassadors, was the first time ever Wiener Race! This consisted of bringing out a bundle of Dachshunds, each assigned to a section, letting them loose on the ice to run towards their owners on the other side of the rink. Nice concept, but unfortunately an epic fail!
When released the Dachshunds just ran circles and played with the other dogs. If the point was to merely entertain the crowd, it served its purpose. Who doesn’t enjoy watching puppies excited and confused?
Eventually they managed to get first, second and third place winners by incorporating tennis balls. Cheating? I’m sure they’ll tweak the game rules if they decide to continue with this event. Apparently the first place puppy was assigned to a section and that section won a prize. They never announced the prize and I’m still extremely curious.
By the way, Jackals lost.
-Kate-

No comments:

Post a Comment