Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A blow to the head and to the pride by Ryan

Yesterday, the March Madness 3-on-3 intramural tournament continued, and it was awesome! I really didn't think I could have more fun on Tuesday than I had on the first day but I was proven very wrong. A few teams had already lost twice on the first day, and a few more lost their first game today and dropped out. Most of these people stayed to watch and offered cheers and goodnatured insults to the players still in. It made for a very polished playground feel to the games, which I enjoyed very much.

My team went into the day with one loss, meaning every game was "win or go home." In our first game we played a team that on average was probably 3-4" taller than each one of us, but our team has played together since high school, and our teamwork carried us to a win by 3. It was exciting as we weren't sure how much of a chance we had. I nearly came away from that game with a bad injury though. On a drive to the basket, I was going up to shoot when I received an accidental elbow to the side of my head. I was instantly dizzy and fuzzy for a few seconds, and I was initially worried that I had a concussion. I had one two years ago, and my head felt like it did on that hit. The dizzyness went away quickly and I was able to hide it and keep playing, but I had a bad headache for the rest of the day.

In our second game we played a team that was the complete opposite of our first opponent. They were mostly small, quick, and deadly shooters. We also ran into a huge cold streak shooting, and it proved to be our undoing. We fell behind 14-10 and had to score five straight points or be out of the tournament. We made two quick layups and I hit a 3-pointer to tie it at 14. But our starting point guard from this year pulled up on a jumper from the foul line that I've never seen him miss, and I knew it was over. We lost, but the tournament was a ton of fun to play in. There are three teams left and they will play for the championship next week.

In upcoming news, the real March Madness starts tomorrow! Everyone should come to the triangle lounge after noon. The first round games will be shown on the big screen, and I have heard food rumors from several people. It should be a great day, and I know I will have all my brackets with me all day. I hope to see everyone there!


-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment