Friday, April 30, 2010

Playing Favorites, pt.2 by Ryan

When I was writing my last post, I realized that American Sign Language is one of my favorite classes. I also realized that it wasn't my only favorite class. I found out that this particular semester I have two favorite classes. My other favorite class is History of Islam and the Middle East.

I found it weird that both of my favorite classes are the ones in which I have no previous experience with the subject. My other classes, biology, math, and American history, I had all studied in high school, but these two classes were new to me. Maybe that's what makes them so exciting. Islam is a strange class for me to be in. I love history, but I have never studied much other than American history in the past. Everything I learn feels completely new, and I love that feeling. It does make it a little difficult because I usually speak up during class if I have a question or I can answer one. In classes that are new subjects, I don't speak much due to my limited knowledge in the area. I am learning to enjoy sitting back and soaking in all the information.

Islam and the Middle East is a very unique class. It is co-taught by two professors, Sky Moss and Robert Cooper. It works well, though, because they work so well together. It's almost like listening to commentators of a sports event; Cooper provides the main play-by-play, and Sky comes in often with color commentary-like bits of information. Cooper is full of knowledge on the early Islamic period, while Sky knows a large amount about the modern day Middle East. Their lessons flow seamlessly, and it is a great experience in the classroom.

This class is another favorite, and I know that I will learn something new every time I enter the classroom. This is another class that comes highly recommended, and anyone that takes it will learn a lot about Islam, from Muhammad to the Cold War.

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment