Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Singing in the Rain by Jenn

Everyone mark your calendars!! The 6th and 13th of May are concert days! The concerts are usually from 12:20 to 1:30 in room R004 (the auditorium-like room in the basement of the classroom building). If you like classical/romantic style music, come to the 13th. If you're in more of a mood for pop come to the 6th! I'm really looking forward to both cause their going to be pretty different. The 6th is mostly pop but it's going to have random pieces thrown in there for fun. So it's going to be the "whatever-music-we-thought-was-pretty-and-felt-like-playing" concert. Whereas the 13th is very structured-- I believe all songs are all coming from the Romantic period.

My voice class is preparing songs for the May 13th concert. So we are practicing a beautiful, romantic song called "May Night", then we have a German song on Gypsies (and yes, we will be singing it in German--which is hilarious to watch cause most of us are having our crash course learning this very song...I think I'm catching on but I don't know about the others!). We'll also be singing an excerpt from the musical "Elijah". But today I went to my voice class and was surprised to learn that there were auditions for the concert today. I love listening to auditions! There were many beautiful auditions and I got to be on the panel to pick which ones are going to be in the concert. Everyone did a great job! I really enjoyed listening. Two people were picked for the classical May 13th concert-- a flutist playing Debussy and a soloist singing "Ava Maria". Then for the May 6th concert, one solo singer was chosen who sang "What a Wonderful World".
We're coming to the busy season of getting songs nailed down and polished for concerts.

Speaking of music, I'm currently working on a song with a friend to audition for the Talent Show. I think it's going to be pretty snazzy cause he plays guitar and I play piano and both of us sing, so, come on out! I'll post the dates for the Talent Show is as soon as I find out. I'll go do my research, but from what I hear it's raising funds for Haiti.
Enough talk about music! Come out and listen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment