Thursday, April 29, 2010

Playing Favorites, pt.1 by Ryan

I have to be honest and say that I'm not as impartial as I try to sound sometimes. I have favorites in just about anything like most people do. I have favorite sports teams, favorite musical groups, and favorite ice-cream flavors just like anyone else. In the interest of impartial writing, most of my favorite things are left out of my posts. However, I have to tell you about one of my favorite classes: American Sign Language!

As a homeschooled student throughout high school, I never took a foreign language. When I went to college, I tried Spanish, but I had a ton of trouble with it. I don't know why, but nothing seemed to stick. My sister told me that CCC offered a sign language class and said I should take it with her. i signed up, hoping I would have better luck with it than I had with spanish.

it turns out, I love it! It's a ton of fun learning and interacting with the teacher. Out professor is deaf, and it's actually become easier as we go along because we are learning how to communicate with her while we learn. It's an amazing subject to learn. The Professor showed us statistics that said sign language is one of the hardest languages to learn in the world. At the same times, it's a ton of fun! We've been learning all about deaf culture and the way that deaf and hearing people interact. I love this class, and I wish I could take ASL II in the fall, but my schedule unfortunately didn't work out.

if you are having trouble with other languages, or if you just want a break from the same language, I would encourage you to check out the ASL courses taught here. They are amazing, the teachers care about you, and I promise it will be memorable!

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment