Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Peanuts and Cracker Jacks by Ryan

I'm a sucker for spring. I love being able to run around with no shoes and feel the grass. I love the soft breeze of the wind as much as I love the gentle drizzle of rain on the roof. But there's nothing I love more during spring than the sound of a baseball whipping into a catchers glove with a loud smack and a small cloud of dust. I love the sound of a bat meeting a ball squarely and watching the ball rise and fly out of the ball field. I never feel like it's really the new year until the open of baseball season.

Last Friday, I had the opportunity to drive down the hill to Tuller Field and watch the Red Barons baseball team take on the Ithaca College Bombers. Because of all my schoolwork, this was unfortunately the first time I had the opportunity to take in a game. I wish I could have attended a few more because I had a lot of fun and really enjoyed watching our guys play. the day was very clear and like most days, the men were excited to play a doubleheader.

Both teams got off to a fast start. Greg Cary got the Barons off to a fast start with an RBI in the bottom of the first. in the second inning, Corning got an RBI double from Shawn Kerr and an infield single from Doug Lewis plated a third run. The top of the third featured a scary moment when pitcher Matt Holling was hit in the chest with a hit ball, but he was thankfully able to remain in the game and pitch a scoreless third and fourth inning. In the bottom of the fourth Zachary Hugg triples on a deep fly ball and was given home when an errant throw to the base went into the CCC dugout. In the sixth inning Kevin Dates also triples and was brought home on a double. Corning put up a valiant offensive effort, but succumbed to the Bombers own offensive onslaught and eventually would drop the decision.

Regardless of the score, the game was an absolute blast! Congratulations to the Corning men's team on a great season!

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment