Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Look Back--part 2! by Jenn

If you read my "A Look Back" post, you'll know that as we finish up for the summer, I've been comparing this year to what I expected college would be like. In my last post I looked at how, academically, I really didn't know what to expect however, college ended up being more doable than I thought it would be.

I was just trying to remember today what I thought college was going to be like socially before my first year. I love meeting people! It's the highlight of my day to meet someone from a different background or culture-- I just find it so interesting! People really are very diverse. I know I didn't appreciate differences in people as much before my college experience as I do now. This is simply because I've been able to meet all different types of people here! And I don't mean just a different nationality, but people who are shy or people who have a different religion.

When it comes to different character types or backgrounds, I find it easy to accept people because there's no right or wrong so it's simply interesting. With beliefs or religious matters, I as much as anyone hold onto my convictions with a tight fist however, I love nothing better than a friendly discussion or "debate". And I've had several up here with a bunch of different people and I've left all of them feeling great because I don't believe I have to argue and twist their arm in an attempt to convince them that what I think is right. We can simply talk about our differences and respect the other person all the more for having their different opinions.

All that to say, I have enjoyed this year's college experience all the more because of the dynamic atmosphere of being able to meet people who-- not only share similarities with myself-- but also those who are very different.

No comments:

Post a Comment