Friday, February 19, 2010

A Painful Ending by Ryan

Last night saw the end of the CCC basketball season. It was an interesting experience since it was the end of my first half-season of college ball. I was both sad and slightly relieved to see it end. The relief was simply because I know have time to concentrate more on my work and on life outside of basketball. But I was truly sad that it was over. It was a great ride and gave me many memories.

I didn't expect the last game to be so painful. I realized a few days ago that had almost made it through an entire basketball season without a serious injury. For some reason, I always end up hurting myself while playing. I missed games due to injury every year of high school. One of my goals for this season, however modest, was to end the year without an injury. I sprained my hamstring and missed one game early in the semester, but I didn't count that because it was only one game. Last night though, a few minutes after I got into the game, I reached out to try and steal the ball and dislocated my finger. It's happened on that finger twice before, so I stupidly pulled the finger back into place and kept playing, not feeling the pain because of the adrenaline. Today, I really wish I had taken myself out, because my entire hand hurts now and I'm typing this entirely with my other hand (and it takes a very long time). At least the season is over so I can recooperate.

Aside from the finger, the last game always makes me look back at the season. As our overall record indicates, there were ups and downs, but overall the season was a great experience. Athletics and competition teach you alot about yourself, and I definitely learned alot this season. I got to see some people with an incredible work ethic and that really helped to push me all season. I learned how much I still have to learn, and the pursuit of that knowledge and skill is really what basketball is all about.

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment