Thursday, February 11, 2010

Game Preparation by Ryan

Due to the huge snowfall we had yesterday, the game against Onondaga was cancelled and moved to today. Thankfully, the game is only an hour away so we should get back in plenty of time to get sleep for classes tomorrow. Going to a game and being alert for classes the next day is a bigger challenge than people would think.

Getting prepared to play a game on a school day can be a challenge. As an athlete, physically you are always prepared to play. Being prepared to play mentally though can be very difficult. All day, your mind is on your classes and any other jobs you may have or homework to be done. I try to find small amounts of time throughout the "school" part of the day to think about that game and get ready to play that night. Once I get on the bus, however, school fades totally and it's game time.

I believe that sports are played mentally just as much as they are played physically. So my preparation for games includes time getting mentally ready. I have a book called Mind Gym by Gary Mack, a sports psychologist. It talks about the mental aspect of sports and how to improve yourself mentally so you can be free to play your best. It's an awesome book; I've probably read it ten times. I'm a big fan in the power of belief. If you think you can do it, you have a lot better chance of getting it done.

I can't wait for the game tonight. TC3 is a great team. This will show us how we stack up against the best. It's gonna be awesome.

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment