Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hope On the Horizon by Ryan

6 days from now, I will be reclined on the couch resting and hanging out, as will most of the CCC student body. Most students will be relaxing by choice; I will be laying down after getting my wisdom teeth out. Regardless, it will be great because break week will be here!

I always feel weird about how much I love break weeks because I genuinely love school. But it feels so good to have an entire week to relax and mentally prepare for another strong schoolwork push. It's a tough balancing act when I'm around my professors. I am excited about the upcoming week, but I don't want to appear too excited to be out of class.

No one thinks about break week from the teacher's prospective. As I am going into the teaching field, I have begun to comtemplate what it will be like as a professor. On the week when most students are relaxing, teachers' often stay busy. In one of my classes, the professor gives tests in short essay form and we are required to write a total of eight essays on the exams. He teaches five classes in this format, and said that on average he has twenty students in a classroom. That means that during break week (emphasis on break) he reads, grades, and sorts approximately 800 short essays to give back the following week. I can't even fathom that. I happily volunteered to shorten his workload by exempting me from the test, but for some unknown reason he chose to decline.

So, while I like school, I would never pass up a chance for a break week. It will be so good to relax and stay inside when it's cold (which I believe is the greatest benefit to cold-weather school breaks). I hope everyone has a great break, and returns ready to work hard in March.

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment