Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Thoughts on Completing My Senior Year at CCC by Abby Donegan

Hey! My name is Abby and I am attending CCC for my senior year of high school. Being here at CCC as one of few high school students has been an interesting experience. It is definitely a change from walking the halls of East High school.

I decided to come to CCC for my last year of high school honestly because I was annoyed with the minimal amount of freedom given to students in high school. I didn’t want to have to have a pass to go to my locker, or have to sign out to go home for a few minutes. I enjoyed high school and still have many friends who attend high school; I was just ready for change. There were times when I regretted coming to CCC and not having a traditional “senior year”; I missed seeing my friends every day and I felt kind of left out.

When I first came to CCC, I assumed it would be easy. I had thoughts like every other high school student that attending a “community college” was basically a walk in the park. I was wrong. I had to work really hard in many of my classes to get the grades I was satisfied with. I struggled in my math class, which I even took at the high school level the year before. It was much different, but every class experience made me more prepared for college in the future. The teachers were very helpful and unlike at big colleges, they knew you by name, not just a seat in a classroom. The attention from the teachers was very comforting and I did not have a difficult time with any of my teachers. I am currently taking one class at East High ninth period that is only for the second half of the year. I originally signed up for the class to boost my average so I could get a scholarship for a college that I am no longer planning to attend; however, I am happy that I am still taking it because it gives me a chance to see my friends from school that I don’t see as often.
Now that the end of the year is approaching, I look forward to many things that most seniors look forward to. I graduate from East High in two months, I am planning my graduation party, I look forward to Senior White Day, Prom, the Senior Awards Assembly, the Senior Trip, and all of the other activities that seniors take part in.

I am extremely thankful that I made the decision to attend CCC as a senior. The classes gave me an eye opener to what college classes are like and I am graduating high school with thirty-five and a half credits! I am attending SUNY Fredonia in the fall to dual major in dance and special education. It is VERY helpful that most of my general education credits are already out of the way. I am so glad that I attended Corning Community College, and I would recommend this college for anyone who is interested in receiving an associate’s degree from a reliable college!

No comments:

Post a Comment