Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Student Disability Services by Ryan

After interviewing Mary Parks for my last blog post, I realized that I should see what support CCC offers students who are deaf. After all, if I was a deaf student looking for a college to attend, I would be much more inclined to attend a school that could meet any needs that might come up. I went to Student Disability Services in the lower level of the Commons Building looking for answers. I was able to interview Allision Zimmermann, the program coordinator, and Delia Hall, the program assistant. After the interview I was very pleased to find out that CCC offers several ways for deaf or hard of hearing students to more easily assimilate to college life here on campus.

Many of the devices they told me about I had never considered or observed in a classroom. If students are hard of hearing but not completely deaf, the school loans an FM system. The student carries it to each class, giving a small microphone to every professor. the student has an earpiece, which receives a boosted signal from the professors microphone, allowing the student to hear the lecture as it is given. For fully deaf students, SDS would provide an interpreter during all needed times such as class periods. If the students need extra notes, arrangements can be made with professors to provide Powerpoint notes or get in touch with other good notetakers in the class. In the past, SDS has even taken notes for deaf professors when people have made presentations in class.

Overall, there is quite a bit of support for students with minor to major hearing issues. Student Disabilities Services does a great job of providing students with specific needs, the neccessary accomodations to survive and prosper in the college environment. If you are interested in contacting Student Disability Services at CCC please stop by Room 149 in the Commons or call them at 962-9262.

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment