Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Seeing Red (Blood Cells) by Ryan

Today, The Red Cross hosted a student blood drive in the main dining room of the Commons building from 8-2. Blood drives are amazing events that we take for granted far too often. The blood given truly helps to save lives and giving blood is a selfless act that everyone possible should participate in.

I wasn't even aware of the blood drive until I saw the signs that were posted near Commons. When I went in, the setup was pretty amazing. They had taken our normal dining room and completely converted it into an efficient system to draw blood. I was there early, around 9:45, but they were already going strong and had a line. I found out that there are two ways you can give blood: the normal way, and double red cells. Only people with certain types of blood can give double reds. Hospitals are in need of these double red givers, so people who are eligible are asked to give. When giving double reds, a machine separates the red blood cells from the plasma, taking a double portion of red cells but returning the plasma to the donors body. The process takes a bit longer, but it lets the red blood cells be taken and used right away.

I found out I was eligible to give double reds, so I signed up. Due to sports injuries I've had quite a few needles before so this was nothing bad. Even if you are bothered by needles or feel faint after giving blood, they take good care of you and let you rest. There were food and drinks afterward, and the workers were very friendly throughout the whole process.

Whether or not you've given blood before, please consider it in the future. You will be helping save lives, and that is just about as noble a cause as there could be!

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment