Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Thoughts from a Non-Traditional Student


Being a non-traditional student, and by that I mean an older student, going back to school after being out for over twenty years, was a bit overwhelming. Even though I was excited for my new adventure, there were a lot of decisions that needed to be made and questions to answer. For instance, “What would I go to school for?”,“Where will I get the money to go to school?”“Am I too old to go to school?”“Will I fit in with the other students?”  The answers I found for myself were: 1) CCC has a program for almost every interest and what you thought you wanted to do may change. 2) There are financial aid programs to assist with the financial aspects of schooling. 3) No, I’m not too old, and, 4) There is so much diversity at the college it’s hard not to find somewhere to fit in. If I can go back to school and be successful, anyone can.

CCC offers so many opportunities and provides so many resources to be successful, even if you need to change your original plan. The options are endless so failure doesn’t have to be one of them. I’ve discovered college isn’t high-school, the learning centers are for everyone, and because it is a smaller college the CCC instructors are very approachable and willing to help you succeed. As an older student I find I am more focused and ready to make the money I’m spending for my education work for me. Going to school when you’re older does have its advantages.

Throughout the semester I would like to offer tips and suggestions to help make your semester a successful one at CCC, and to help those who are deciding if college is right for them, to possibly see returning to college at CCC is the opportunity they have been waiting for.

Welcome all students, particularly “non-traditional” (older) students. Best of luck in your studies this semester.
Tammy VanVleck    tvanvlec@corning-cc.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment