Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Self-Doubt Ain’t Got Nothin’ On Me


As I’m approaching my departure date, I’m becoming more nervous and feeling more unprepared than ever.  I’m getting constant reminders from numerous people that soon… I’ll no longer be home. I get asked every day, “When are you leaving?!” I hate the reminders! I’ve been trying not to think so much of leaving but more about arriving.
But that’s been freaking me out just as much, if not more…
DETAILS! I forgot about all the details I need to worry about when moving away from home. This weekend will be dedicated to packing my car full of all the things I want to take. If it doesn’t fit, I can’t take it! That’s a horrible thought.
What’s making me even more sad is that I’ve been  packing the stuff I don’t want to take and putting it in the basement so my family has an extra room to use… for whatever. I wasn’t asked to do this; my mom was kind of offended and hurt when I told her what I was doing. Poor mommy.
 I figured it’d be nice, since when (and if) I come back, I plan to move out. My stuff will be all packed up so it’s one less thing I have to worry about. Wait…
 MOVE OUT??? Temporarily was fine, but now I want to leave home permanently???
Sounded like a good idea at the time… Welcome to life, Kate.
I’m not new to these feelings of panic though. I’m reminded of when I first started college and basically any class that I’ve taken that I thought was too difficult for me. A feeling of urgency and self-doubt. It’s the feeling of… being a college student. Which, I’m beginning to find, doesn’t stop with being a college student. I guess I’m realizing it’s going to follow me throughout the rest of my life.
I sound like such a downer, but that’s not my goal here. My goal is to encourage you to push through this feeling. I also want you to recognize that you’re not the only one experiencing this stomach turning bundle of emotions.
If only we could have a Pepto-Bismol cure. *sings and dances* Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, college students, diarrhea! (Yay for a new jingle for CCC!) If you’re unfamiliar with that jingle, I’m sorry that you live under a rock. Here’s a reference. :D
Did I really just side-track to that? Yes. I. did.
My point is, when in this situation of experiencing “college student symptoms” I try to remember the results I’ve encountered when pushing through.
My favorite was when I waited until my last semester (for my first degree) to take my lab science. After completely failing (by my own standards) the first half of the semester, I pushed through. I knew I could do better. I studied harder, got help from the instructor and dedicated myself to that class. I ended up getting a 99/100 on the final!
Is there a time that you felt like you didn’t have the will-power to do something, but ended up exceeding your own expectations?
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment