Thursday, April 14, 2011

Impatiently waiting by Kate Schiller

The wait is killing me…

I love Corning Community College. I feel so at home here. I wish CCC was a four-year school. I had graduated from CCC last May, transferred to a four-year and then returned this spring. I’m still adjusting to the idea of moving away on my own and returning home. I feel more anxious than ever to start the next step in my life; I’m willing to do almost anything… even taking a trip to Disney World!

Yea, I said it, Disney World. I’m anxiously awaiting my response to the Disney College Program http://www.disneycollegeprogram.com/. Being college students, I’m sure you’ve seen the purple posters plastered all over our college campus. To me it always sounded “too good to be true”. So, I never considered it.


I have a diverse group of friends. The ones that are older than me have always encouraged me to experience new things now, while I’m young and don’t have a husband and three children. They all wish they had or have wonderful stories to tell. I want a sense of adventure and I feel now is the time for me. I have my Associates and I haven’t started needing to pay back large amounts of student loans yet…


It’s now two weeks after my initial phone interview and I’m already going insane waiting for a response. To pass the time I’ve spent countless hours watching YouTube. . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGYHZX0EL38 . . . the best one I’ve found yet), reading blogs and partaking in forums about the Disney College Program. If you are curious about the program these are the best ways to get the inside scoop into the program. From my research I’ve compiled a brief list of pros and cons about the program…


Pros:
• Living in Walt Disney World.
• Working with a world-known company (great resume-builder)
• Disney discounts!


Cons:
• Paying my own rent.
• Working 40-80 hours a week.
• Getting a job that stinks… (custodial, quick-food service)
• Public transportation (that is, if you don’t take a car)

Could go either way…
• Moving away from home.
• Living in (hot) Florida
• Meeting new people.
• Gaining life experience.


I would like to point out that this program is not for people who expect to just hang out at Disney World on vacation for a semester. They will work you hard. The people I found who did not like the program were individuals who weren’t use to working hard, people who got roles (positions) they hated and those without a car. Take these pointers into consideration if you are interested in putting yourself in my shoes. The wait is killing me…

No comments:

Post a Comment