Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I Don't Think Stress With Get You An A by Kate Schiller

I feel as though no matter my experience and how long I’ve been in school, this part of the semester always creeps up on me. I’m thrown off by the fact I only have a couple of weeks left after break and still so much to do and figure out before summer break. It’s the week after break and we’re almost finished. At least that’s what everyone keeps saying. I think it’s a lie. They’re lying to us! These last couple of weeks drag more than any other. It’s because we’re waiting, anticipating and kicking and screaming our way through.

Every semester I look forward to after break and every semester I’m disappointed that I didn’t properly plan for it. Why? Finals. Yup, finals are almost here. As silly as it sounds, I forgot I had finals. I think it’s due to my work overload and I’m only part-time. Things have been all out of whack for me this semester.
So, if you’re freaking out like I am about finals already here’s some tips I’ve learned over the semesters I’ve been here…
  • Map out a schedule of your finals week – It helps you realize what final(s) should be your priority. The other ones that are at the end of the week you can study on your days off (if you have days off from finals).
  • Get a support system together – Find out who in your class seems interested in getting good grades and ask them to study with you. If you work better alone, that’s fine. Make sure your friends and family know about your finals coming up. It’ll be easier when you tell them you’re too busy to hang out or do chores. The week before finals week is the only time I can tell my mom I’m too busy to take out the trash and she’ll let it slide.
  • Warn your job – Let them know it’s your finals week and try not to only take off the times for the actual exam. Give yourself more time off. Because you have off from classes, doesn’t mean you should pick up extra hours. I learned this the hard way. I figured I could pick up some extra cash but when crunch time came, I really needed that extra time to study and/or relax before the big exam.
  • Start making flash cards and/or brainstorming ideas now – Everyone has their own routine for studying but I found if I started making flashcards the week after break week then I was absorbing the information I needed ahead of time. Also, if you have a paper due as a final start brainstorming now.
  • Utilize CCC resources early! – Don’t wait to go to the Math, Writing or Academic Study center the week before finals. Go now. Especially with writing a final paper, they can help you brainstorm and give you resources for researching, and most importantly, help you with citing. And don’t forget, make appointments! I can’t tell you how many people had to wait for me to finish babbling about my ideas for my next paper because I had an appointment and they didn’t.
  • Plan time to relax – We learn this in FYEX (First Year Experience). You need to make sure you don’t cram right before an exam. Remember to take breaks when you’re studying. Trust me, you’ll absorb more information. And make sure before the big test you eat breakfast!!!
I know it still seems too early to be talking about finals… but if you start planning now, you won’t be as stressed out when finals week rolls around. I don’t think stress will get you an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment