Monday, October 1, 2012

Listening

You can open up your whole world by listening. I remember when I was in middle school; we had this huge project about WWII. Towards the end of the project, we actually interviewed veterans of WWII. My interviewee was a Holocaust survivor.  The horrible things she had seen and been through were just chilling. I don’t think I have ever listened as closely to anybody as her. I am a college freshman and we keep in contact to this day. I have the utmost respect for that brave woman. After hearing her story, I became intrigued with other survivors and their stories. I had broadened my mind by listening to her speak. The respect I have for that woman is prodigious. Now, think of a topic that inspires you. Does it inspire you because you can relate? Perhaps you frequently read about it. We all know how fulfilling it is to talk to somebody who shares a similar inspiration. There is a student here on campus that will play his guitar frequently after classes. He plays so beautifully it feels incredibly inspiring. There is respect in listening to music. You need not verbally chat with somebody to hear, feel, and respect what they are doing, or in this case, playing. With listening, truly listening, you gain so much perspective. Not only are you opening your mind, you are opening your soul. I would never have gained such respect for that courageous survivor had I not listened to her. By listening, you gain respect from others and respect for yourself. The moral of the story, and frankly, one of the biggest guidelines for life (a golden rule, if you will) is that listening and respect go hand in hand. You cannot have one without the other. So listen up folks! You never know what you might gain! 

Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment