Monday, June 27, 2011

What to Consider Before Taking a Compressed Class by Kate Schiller

I just finished my Summer Astronomy course this past week. While I really enjoyed the content of the class, I regret taking such an interesting subject in a compressed package! If you haven’t read my past blogs, it was a four week course, Mon – Thur, 8:30 AM – 1:20 PM. Four weeks of a lab science isn’t enough time to process a subject you’re extremely interested in.



How many times do you think to yourself, “If I could do all over again, I would”? I don’t think I’ve ever thought way about a college course! But that’s where I am right now. I managed to get a C in the class, which is the lowest grade I’ve ever received. I’m not blaming the compressed course, it was my own fault. But I do wish I could take it over during a regular semester. I would definitely take another Astronomy course! The instructor was great, the class was fun… it was just a lot to take in during a short amount of time.


Instead of complaining about my C, I’ve decided to celebrate that I made it through the course with a passing grade! The course was difficult but fun. I come across a lot of those here at CCC. But, the time frame really hurt me. Before you register for a compressed course, ask yourself, “Am I really interested in this subject? Should I wait until I can take it a full semester?” Not to say it’s not possible to get an A in these types of courses, you just have to have something I lacked… time management skills. :(




Kate






No comments:

Post a Comment