Saturday, March 26, 2011

Being a Thriving Student by Stacy Wead

A thriving student will tell you that they know people. They may say that it isn’t only what you know, but whom. Success is bolstered by support. Develop a network with faculty and peers that can support and encourage your growth. Whether at our own Corning Community College or planning for success at another school, this is ideal. The one piece of advice I wish that I had before I enrolled is this: find people that will support you, peers or otherwise, without judging you. Meet as many people as you can—lab partners, professors, math tutors, the students in student government, etc— that can create a push towards your goal. I learned this on my own and it didn’t take long at all. Treat each and every stranger on this campus as if they all have an especially important part in your future, because they do; if you treat them all with kindness you will get it in return.

As a Student Leader, I revel in meeting as many people as I can and helping them to feel more comfortable and in tune with their college experience. I love talking to different people, sharing little slices of their life with them. Once I came to Corning Community College for the first time, I saw that it didn’t really have anything like the cliques in high school at all; there is no worrying that whomever you talk to will affect how people see you. That is why Corning Community College is the perfect college to branch out in. Here you have the freedom to spread out, to know as many people and collect as many experiences as you can. I’ve built both an amazing resume for my next college and a perfect base of experience for my career here. I also know that if I ever need recommendations for a future profession or college, the faculty and staff acquaintances I have acquired will have my back. Corning Community College really lives up to its middle name, for it is a community and it is the ideal place for tasting the college experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment